Saturday, August 19, 2017

Eliana FAITH Craft (Emphasis Important)

How do I summarize the past five years in a single blog post?! In this case, I feel it simply cannot be done. So with the way you would eat any "elephant"... it will be one bite at a time. I'll start with the birth of our "rainbow baby" and "nothing-less-than-amazing" daughter and work my way forwards. It seems this is the most efficient way of getting up to speed with where life has taken us. It certainly has been a ride. 
   As I eluded to in my last post in 2012... Eliana Faith Craft was born August 24, 2011. Right between my two sisters' birthdays... Alyssa's being on the 23rd, and Olivia's on the 25th. Seems Todd had a sense of humor that GOD admired when he commented that it would be "So funny" if she was born THAT DAY!  That day was TRULY a memory for more than one reason. We had a small earthquake the day before that was felt from SC to VA. It was dominating the local news all day. Me.... I missed it. I remember CRYING in my van in the Target parking lot because I was HUGE pregnant and having to take two rambunctious...and sometimes downright naughty boys shopping. It was hot... and my feet were swollen. I just wanted to go home.  Apparently somewhere between waddling to my car with sauntering children in tow, and the cart return... the ground shook, and I missed it. 
   That night, my water broke at a little after midnight after a HUGE contraction. I had been awake, timing them on the computer website I found. My "plan" was to WAIT for things to progress more before heading to the hospital. I love how God/Mother Nature/pregnancy doesn't care about our plans. When my water broke... it wasn't normal clear fluid... it was like pea soup.... meconium(baby poop for those less versed in childbirth terms).  This was a HUGE RED FLAG for the health/safety of Eliana. So I RUSHED to wake up Todd... who had taken NyQuil before going to bed for a raging cold. He was so druggy that he has said he doesn't even remember driving to the hospital!  I was praying she was okay, and this wouldn't cause her serious harm. 
   When we arrived, the doctor hooked me to an IV right away and began pushing antibiotics for me and her(in utero). I had tested positive for Group B strep as well. She assured me they would do everything to keep her from aspirating we she was born. The NICU team would be there to assess her and transport her if needed when she was born.
   The hours of labor ticked by, and I was praying for a supernatural, pain free childbirth. As much as I'd like to say that was the case... it was not. I was adamantly against the epidural, and held out for several hours without the lesser pain meds. Finally I caved after my Stadol wasn't working anymore, and asked HOW MUCH LONGER?! When the dr said I was 5-6 centimeters... approx. 4-5 hours more... I asked to find the epidural doc! But as God would have it... he wasn't needed. After two HUGE contractions... she was READY to meet us! They barely had time to get the doctor back downstairs from her nap! (She had retreated for a break after telling me I had HOURS to go!) She delivered Eliana before the NICU team could even arrive! Knowing her possible distress, she suctioned her out before stimulating her to breathe, and began cleaning her off. The NICU team came rushing in.... late... but thankfully NOT NEEDED!!! Eliana was perfect! 8lbs 2oz. and 19" long.   Golden red/orange hair... and dark blue eyes. 
   I can't explain the culmination of emotions that I felt the moment they handed her to me... the feeling of loss, grieving her sister that we never got to meet, the joy of promises and prophecy FINALLY being FULFILLED. A year's worth of feelings surged forward in one instant.  Then KNOWING she was ok.... not in danger. (They had also diagnosed her with a heart murmur the week before she was born via ultrasound and I had to have a special MFM doctor look at her in utero. We were told sometimes the murmur would dissipate after birth, or she may need more testing, observation, etc. The moment she was born... they listened to her THREE times... no murmur found!!!) It had been present EVEN on the monitor hours before her birth! Another gift from GOD... no sorrows added. 
   From that day forward... she has been nothing short of amazing. Although I would have wished she SLEPT MORE as a baby! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment